Posted today on the Johnson County Community College electronic mail server, Infolist:
The Johnson County Health Department has announced one presumptively confirmed case of the 2009 H1N1 flu virus in Johnson County. Confirmation of the probable case of H1N1 influenza announced Friday is still pending. The Johnson County Health Department is following the guidance provided through the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. This includes a thorough case investigation and management of the patient and close contacts. Four likely cases have also been reported on the Missouri side of the metropolitan area.
The Johnson County Health Department recommends individuals take standard precautions to avoid getting ill such as washing your hands, covering your cough, and staying home when you are sick.
JCCC has provided its own Q&A about the H1N1 virus at http://www.jccc.edu/home/depts.php/003100/site/09H1N1.
A task force continues to look at steps that could be taken should the situation require something other than watchfulness, following a guidance document published by the Center for Disease Control and the Department of Education for higher learning institutions.
For additional information, see
- Center for Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm
- The World Health Organization, http://www.who.int/en/
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment, http://www.swinefluks.org
- Johnson County Health Department, http://health.jocogov.org
- Johnson County Health Department flu hotline, 913-826-1263