A Japan Relief Event to help those affected by the earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan is scheduled from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, June 18, in Yardley Hall of the Carlsen Center at Johnson County Community College. Entertainers are from the local area and Japan. Cost is free, but a $10 donation is suggested. Tickets are available at the door.
The Japan Relief Event is sponsored by the Heart of America Japan-America Society, the Japan Club of Greater Kansas City and the JCCC International Club.
- Japanese pop singer Aya Uchida, who will come from Japan for this concert
- Buyo dancer Yoshiko Yamanaka
- The Kansas City Symphony String Ensemble —Tamamo Someya Gibbs, Mark Gibbs, Tomoko Iguchi and Eri Kosaka
- The University of Missouri-Kansas City jazz band Ensemble, directed by saxophonist Bobby Watson, which performed in Kurashiki, Japan, a sister city of Kansas City, Mo., in October 2010
- Ki-Daiko/Three Trails Taiko — a combination of high school and adult taiko groups, both from Olathe
For more information, contact the JCCC international education office at 913-469-3496.